COVID-19 Updates & Resources (March 2022)
COVID-19 - Important Resources & Updates:
- Reopening Update – What Units Can Do (3-14-2022)
- LA County Protocol for Reopening Youth Sports (3-11-2022)
- LA County Safer Return to Work and Community (3-23-2022)
- New Mask Mandates for Scouting Programs (2-18-2022)
- At Risk Unit Post Meeting Activity Participant Statement
- COVID-19 Positive Reporting Form
- Youth or Adult Health Screening Questionnaire
- National's Scout Share Resources
- Learn My.Scouting Tools Training via Video
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
COVID-19 Modifications for Rank Requirements and Merit Badge Requirements to Be Rolled Back
As of March 01, 2022, all temporary changes made to Scouts BSA advancement requirements to address the COVID-19 pandemic will expire, and there will be a return to the standard rules for Scouts BSA advancement. This includes deferment of some swimming requirements for First and Second class, virtual activities for Tenderfoot, Second and First Class, and requirement 9b of the Camping merit badge.
As always, the BSA’s top priority is the health and safety of all youth participating in BSA programs. In 2020, the BSA instituted several modifications to rank requirements and merit badge requirements (“advancement modifications”) to accommodate activity restrictions necessitated by COVID-19. Effective March 01, 2022, those modifications will be removed, and the standard rules for advancement and merit badges will again become effective. These requirements are published at https://www.scouting.org/programs/scouts-bsa/advancement-and-awards and in the Requirements Guidebook.
The Guide to Advancement, section 10.2.2.0, states that “Members must meet current advancement requirements as written for merit badges, all ranks, and Eagle Palms—no more and no less—and they are to do exactly what is stated.”
Free COVID Test Kits
The Greater Los Angeles Area Council encourages our Scouting community to BE PREPARED and keep all of our Scouts and families healthy. Vaccinations, masks, and testing are all measures to fight Covid-19. The US Government is now offering free home covid tests kits. You can get a maximum of 4 per household shipped to you. Stay safe, be prepared, and see you along the Scouting trail. Click Here to order your test kits
COVID Update – Surgical Masks Recommended for Scouting Activities
The State of California and the LA County Department of Public Health (LACDPH) have both issued an indoor masking directives. For Scouting activities, we strongly recommend wearing surgical masks (or 3 ply masks), N95 or KN95 masks. Read More
Digital Safety Guidelines for Councils to Share
As local councils and units use digital and online resources, such as video conferencing, to continue Scouting meetings, projects, and advancement during the COVID-19 outbreak, the National Council is providing guidance in this BSA Safety Moment that can be shared with anyone who has questions about topics such as video conferencing safety for Scouts and leaders. Note: This guidance is not comprehensive, and if it differs from the legal requirements of your state or local jurisdiction, please consult with your local council attorney.
Topics addressed for conducting online Scouting activities safely include:
- Follow all Youth Protection policies.
- Use business-oriented conference platforms instead of platforms with other primary purposes (such as gaming).
- Do not record online activities/meetings.
- Safeguard personal information.
- Collecting personal information from youth under 13 is not recommended.
- See Digital Safety and Online