National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT)
NYLT is a focused, high-energy outdoor experience for Scout BSA Troop/Venturing Crew youth leaders. Participants experience of an ideal Troop, experiencing team challenges to understanding their own "Quest for the Meaning of Leadership." Some leadership skill objectives include:
- Developing team visions
- Goal setting with SMART goals.
- Project planning – 4W’s
- Communication - MesSeR
- Leading EDGE methods
- Conflict Management – EAR
All offered in a fun outdoor environment within a program infused with the Scouting Spirit. Many colleges, universities and academies have recognized NYLT as a premier leadership program.
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting Unit
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Forms Part A B & C
- Scouts must be 13 and completed eighth grade years of age and fall within the maximum age for their program of registration.
- They must be a first-Class Scout and completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for their Troops (ILST)
- Venture and Sea Scouts (male & female) must be at least 14 or 13 and completed eighth grade and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program.
- They must have Introduction to Leadership Skills for their Crews or Ships. (ILSC or ILSS)
- Recommended they have one year of camping experience. NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience.
- Have a unit Leader Recommendation. Please forward to email@example.com
- $295 in Council
- $345 out of Council
During the four course developments and setup you will be challenged and you will learn to do things you didn't think were possible before you completed the NYLT course. You will learn what it takes to organize the NYLT course and to give presentations to patrol size groups and larger groups as Troop Guide, or you could be involved in the logistics side of the course as one of the Quartermaster team. Most Scouts who participate as a staff member once, continue to participate for the rest of their Scouting careers.
Staff Development Dates
- SD 0 Cabrillo 10 to 2 September 11th
- SD 1 Cabrillo 10 to 4 October 1st
- SD 3 Cabrillo Overnighter November 6th
- SD 4 Cabrillo Overnighter December 4th
- Course day 0 staff arrives at Cabrillo December 26th 12:00
- Couse day 1 Participants arrive at Noon December 27th