Philmont Scout Ranch
The Greater Los Angeles Area Council (GLAAC) has a reservation for a Crew contingent to attend Philmont Scout Ranch in 2018. This means that twelve Scouts and adults will participate in an outstanding High Adventure experience in the Sangre de Cristo Range of the Rocky Mountains, located in New Mexico. Philmont provides not only a premier backpacking experience at elevations in the 8,000 – 12,000 foot range, but also a unique, Western-theme program at many backcountry camps.
- Date: July 6, 2018 – July 21, 2018. These dates include AMTRAK transportation time.
- Participants must be 14 years of age OR completed the 8th grade and be at least 13 years of age prior to participation. Participants 18 through 20 years of age may be counted as youth or adult crew members. Each crew is required to have a majority of youth participants, and the maximum number of adults (over 21) is four (4) per crew.
- All participants must provide BSA Form 680-001, Annual Health and Medical Record (click here for: form_Philmont 680-001), which must be within a year prior to participating at Philmont. All participants must be current as to a tetanus shot and pass an in-camp medical check. A participant’s weight must fall below the maximum limit for his/her height as listed on Form 680-001.
- Participants must provide all personal backpack clothing and personal equipment, especially quality boots. Participants will coordinate crew equipment such as tents, backpack stoves, etc. What is not available among crew members, may be rented from Philmont. There will be a pack inspection at base camp by the Philmont staff.
- Crew assignments will be made on a District or Unit basis, or where possible,participants’ preference.
- Backpack mileage will be in the range of 50 – 80 miles, over 12 days – including one or two layover days, depending on the itinerary selected by each crew.
- Participants and alternates are required to attend all meetings scheduled and at least 75% of the scheduled day hikes and backpack trips with their Philmont crew. Each participant must demonstrate hiking and camping skills and physical condition. This is also conducive to developing teamwork and checking out the durability of personal and crew equipment.
- The cost is approximately $1,400 per participant, depending on the cost of transportation, GLAAC Philmont shirts, hats and neckerchiefs and miscellaneous expenses.
- Reservations are on a first-come basis. A $100 non-refundable deposit is required with the application (see below to download) no later than May 1, 2017. A payment schedule will be announced at the first meeting.
- Additional information about the Philmont 2018 contingent can be obtained by contacting the Camping Department at the GLAAC Smiser Service Center (626) 351-8815 ext. 249 or ext. 241.
|Philmont Program for 2018||This form is the Philmont 2018 council contingent program announcement. It's also the sign-up form for youth and/or adults to go on the 2018 trek as part of GLAAC contingent||Download|